From 30 May to 3 June 2021, a delegation from the The Peace and Security Centre of Competence Sub Saharan Africa of the Friedrich Ebert Stiftung visited the Gambia. The delegation was composed of Philipp GOLDBERG, Director of the FES PSCC and Adji K. NDIAYE, Programme Officer for the West Africa region. This mission was an opportunity to strengthen the work done in the country and to establish new partnerships.
This visit was the occasion for several particularly instructive meetings with non-governmental organizations and state structures. Indeed, the FES PSCC delegation had the following meetings:
- at the headquarters of WANEP, a partner with whom many projects have been carried out;
- with Mr. Sait Matty JAW, Executive Director Center for Research and Policy Development (CREPOD);
- with His Excellency Fode SECK Senegalese-Gambian Permanent Secretariat at the premisses of the Senegalo-Gambia Permanent Secretariat;
- with Dr. Baba Galleh JALLOW member of the Truth, Reconciliation and Reparations Commission at the commission office (TRRC);
- with His Excellency Corrado PAMPALONI Ambassador of the European Union Delegation to The Gambia at the premises of the EU Delegation;
- with Mr. Harona DRAMMEH Journalist - Reporter and press owner in his press group;
- visit to the headquarters of the Women's Association for Victims' Empowerment (WAVE);
- with Mr. Sanna CAMARA, Journalist and former media officer to the Presidency of the Republic;
- visit to the headquarters of the African Network Against Extrajudicial Executions and Enforced Disappearances (ANEKED)
These exchanges allowed for a better understanding of the security, political and social situation in the country. In addition, many projects emerged from the discussions. They will be implemented in the coming months with the aim of contributing to the strengthening of peace and security in this beautiful West African country, particularly in this presidential election year.